As a commercial Legal Counsel you will provide legal support and advice to Backbase’s business (e.g. commercial, R&D, HR, compliance, finance) and streamline all legal aspects of a fast growing international fintech company. You will work closely with Backbase’s sales teams and support them in the bidding processes and commercial negotiations in the different time zones in which they operate. You will be drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts, including software license agreements, consultancy agreements, project implementation and distribution/resell agreements, and reviewing other commitments for potential risks and liabilities. In addition, you will protect our software and intellectual property from illegal use. You will continuously work on improving Backbase’s legal framework, processes, templates and standard documents, and contribute to the roll out of internal compliance policies.
The Legal Counsel is part of the Backbase’s legal team in Amsterdam and will report to the Head of Legal.
The ideal candidate for this challenging and demanding job will fit the following profile:
- University degree in Dutch law or in other major jurisdiction (Master’s degree (LLM) or equivalent);
- At least 5 years of experience as a commercial legal counsel in IT/software/technology industry;
- Proven excellent contract drafting and negotiating skills in English;
- Ability to efficiently close deals consistent with an optimal balance of legal/business risks;
- In deals you know how to balance commercial and legal acumen business;
- Business and result oriented with hands on and flexible attitude;
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong analytical, issue-spotting and investigatory skills - able to quickly analyse complex factual situations and identify, understand and evaluate key risk issues;
- Service minded self-starter with ability to work independently with great communication and interpersonal skills;
- You hold a valid work permit for the Netherlands, if such a work permit is required.